Who We Are
We created Verdant because we find incredible meaning in co-planning with our clients for a life that is meaningful and flourishing. Let’s face it: most of us need to work to pay the bills. But, why must it be “work”? We believe we can laugh, strive, collaborate, and find satisfaction in the work we do.
Sam Skaggs has over 30 years experience as a Registered Investment Advisor and financial planner in Alaska and is formerly the Principal of Samuel D Skaggs Investments.
Sam’s passion is investing. “Trying to understand world markets for equities and real estate and positioning the portfolio to maximize return while minimizing risk is an ever-changing puzzle to solve. It is challenging, but is also why I wake up in the morning! The design and execution of Verdant’s Resilient Portfolio strategy not only aligns our values with our world-view of money being opportunity, it also fully integrates my financial skills and my life work as a conservationist.” - Sam Skaggs
When not working the portfolios or meeting with clients, you will find Sam on the ocean or in the woods near Sitka, skiing the trails of Mt Bachelor, Oregon, or being an active member of Sitka Fine Arts Camp Board of Directors.
Amy L Volz, CFP®
Amy is a Certified Financial Planner™ with 12 years of experience in financial services. Her heart-felt purpose is to connect clients with their unique life goals and then use financial resources to make that vision a reality.
Amy's diverse background in agriculture, non-profit management, and volunteership makes her well-suited to explore the various holistic elements of Thrive Financial+Life Planning with her clients.
"I aim to bring my qualities of integrity, courage and charisma to client relationships so that Verdant clients may in turn express their best selves for the highest opportunity of success: fulfillment." – Amy L Volz
What We Bring
- You’re the CEO of your life. We consider you to be the most knowledgeable person about your life. You are the expert of your life, your intentions, your challenges, and the things that make you happy. We have 30 years of expertise in financial planning, portfolio design and execution, investing, and most money matters. Consider us your personal CFO.
- Mutual Accountability. You are paying us to be good at what we do, doing what we say, and being trustworthy and fair. We expect you to be honest with yourself and with us and to commit to yourself boldly. We can be your accountability “foil” so that change actually happens!
- The past is in the past. We leave judgement about your previous decisions aside. And so should you! Let’s talk about moving forward.
- Passion in working with couples and entrepreneurs. We are life-partners and have been working together as registered investment advisors for 12 years—we love helping our clients be happy and financially healthy.
- Honesty. While we have worked in many subject matters and have broad and yet specific expertise, we will be honest about what we don’t know and will find the right professional to assist you in that specialized area.